Thursday, August 18, 2011

You can do anything you want, but not everything you want

As I've thought about the last year, I've thought about all the things I've done. It got me to thinking that there is still so much more I want to do. Some things are minor, and others major. I came across a quote on another blog I read. I remembered it because I've been feeling overwhelmed with all these things I want/have to do in my life, and I'm afraid I won't have time. Life is too short. It said, "You can do anything you want, but not everything you want." It got me to thinking I've done a lot (at least in the last year) and that I should be grateful for what I have done.

18 things I accomplished while I was 18:
  1. Attended college.
  2. Moved away from home and became more independent.
  3. Went on a Study Abroad.
  4. Fulfilled my church callings.
  5. Learned to live with other people (if 13 girls in the same room doesn't scream fun, I don't know what does).
  6. Strengthened my testimony.
  7. Kept a Journal.
  8. Built new friendships.
  9. Applied for my major.
  10. Learned how to hang up blinds.
  11. Organized my stuff (quite a few times).
  12. Learned more about family history.
  13. Visited relatives in Australia.
  14. Lived out of a back pack for 2 weeks.
  15. Read a whole textbook (seriously, that's an accomplishment for me).
  16. Appreciated other cultures, and learned about a few.
  17. Gained a tolerance, and even a love for hiking.
  18. Decided I want to be teacher.
Some of those things may seem dumb, but I feel like they are important accomplishments to further who I ultimately want to become. It's a work and progress, and I'm no where near the person I want to be, but I can say I'm proud of what I've done, and who I'm becoming. So naturally now that I'm 19 another list will be made.

19 things I want to accomplish while I'm 19:
  1. Read at least 5 church books (I wanted to last year, but never got around to it...it will happen).
  2. Learn how to french braid hair (It's pathetic that I've gone 19 years relying on others to french braid my hair for me).
  3. Learn how to cook balanced meals, and then actually make them. I'll start by making at least one meal a week (mac & cheese isn't going to cut it for the rest of my life).
  4. Go on a humanitarian trip.
  5. Learn how to paint my nails good (I've never been very good at this...ask my sisters)
  6. Continue schooling, and try my hardest (the second part is a bit harder for me).
  7. Continue keeping a journal, fulfilling church callings, and strengthening my testimony.
  8. See the Grand Canyon.
  9. Build new relationships, and strengthen the ones I have.
  10. Volunteer to help people (I really need to work on that).
  11. Buy a car.
  12. Attend all BYU home football games, and as many other home sporting events as I can (my sports pass won't go to waste this year).
  13. Learn how to drive a stick shift.
  14. Build a fire.
  15. Manage my time better (I spend way too much time on facebook).
  16. Get into my program.
  17. Read some more family life stories.
  18. Sew an article of clothing or a blanket or something.
  19. Be more patient.
I'm going to accomplish those things in the next year...I hope. Procrastination is something else I need to work on, but I'll do that later (I think I'm funny).  So here's to doing anything I want...one step at time.

4 comments:

  1. I really love this post. Lovely quote, lovely idea, lovely goals...love everything!
    PS: You're not the only one who thinks you're funny...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making lists like this. So fun to see the past and future side by side. Oh and I just found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you figured out how to put up blinds! Seriously, what would I have done without you?! Oh and I will help you learn how to french braid your hair...it will save me a lot of time in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm heath, who ever teaches you to drive stick... needs to teach me too. Haha. And I guess your nail polish will be put to very much use. Excellent. Annndddd I hope you're having lots of fun! Anndddd you're hot. Anddd girl talk later... like when you get home. K that's all byeeee.

    ReplyDelete